Higher education in Canada

One of the national characteristics of Canadians is to obtain a quality education. Canada, currently, has about 90 universities. The higher education system in Canada is built so that  universities in this country meet strict government requirements. Equally high level of teaching at each university. Canadian university diplomas are highly regarded in many developed countries. Multinational bilingual Canada welcomes immigrants and just international visitors. In this country, the way people live, like a mosaic, composed of several cultures of the world.

higher education in Canada

Education in Canada each year is open to 13 000 foreign students.

As well as in many other countries, Canada’s schools are divided into public and private. A specific feature of the education system in Canada are regional differences of the educational process, regulated by local governments, which, however, does not affect the overall quality of teaching.

The higher education system in Canada has three levels:

  1. primary higher (Undergratuate) – a three-year training, after which awarded the degree of Bachelor
  2. Workshops Program (Graduate) – durations of 1-2 years
  3. Doctorate (Postgraduade) c assignment steperni PhD (PhD), duration of training for four years supply.

Foreign students could theoretically come to Canadian universities after graduation. However, in practice, to get into university right after high school is difficult. It is better to go to college at the primary program, and then move directly to the second or third year of university. This path is very popular among Canadians themselves. It is also important and the fact that a college degree allows a foreigner to work for a year. Jobs that do not require qualification is outside the university or campus – cleaner, messenger, waiter, peddler, the most popular college degree.

To be admitted to the University must submit a certificate of proficiency in a foreign language (TOEFL-score of 550, IELTS-6 points). Canada offers bilingual education in English and French. Teaching is conducted in French in Quebec. It is necessary to present a certificate DALF \ DELF. In the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brensvik, Ontario and Manitoba can learn both languages.


To get to the training in Canada is not easy – in addition to visa, you need to get “a study permit.” This extra measure of the Government of Canada introduced in order to stem the flow of illegal immigrants. Official confirmation of enrollment at the university is a letter from the Council, the registration of the university. The original letter indicating the duration of training and the course description is required at the consulate in Canada. Very often candidates for a Canadian student visa are interviewing. This is in order to see for themselves the sincerity and firmness of your intentions.


Many institutions offer foreign students living in families. Usually stay based single room and two meals. The average cost of living in a family ranges from 400 to 800 Canadian dollars per month. Another, more popular option – dormitory. The main advantage is that it is located on the campus in close proximity to academic buildings. The rooms are designed for one or two people, a common kitchen, laundry room, shared showers. Generally, meals are not included in the price and are charged separately. The cost of living in the hostel – 3 to 7500 Canadian dollars.