Choosing a language school in the UK

A better place to learn English is language schools in the UK. Immerse yourself in the language, you will get the opportunity to get acquainted with the peculiarities of British culture, traditions and way of life. Highly qualified, experienced professionals will help you quickly achieve the goal, whatever it may be.

The basic types of courses offered by the various language schools in the UK

How to choose a language course?

If you have not yet decided which course to choose English language schools in the UK, ask yourself:

Why do I need the English language?

  • 1. If it is about to go to college or a university in UK, you need English for academic purposes (English for Academic Purposes, EAP).
  • 2. If English is required to work, you need English for specific purposes (English for Specific Purposes, ESP), which focuses on the needs of your professional. This may be an English language course for lawyers, bankers, doctors, etc.
  • 3. If you just want to improve your English, the best option – it is the course “English as a Second Language” (English as a Foreign Language).
  • 4. If you – a teacher of English or intend to become one, there are special courses “Teaching English as a Foreign Language” (Teaching English as a Foreign Language, TEFL). Of course, there are many other courses than those mentioned above. For more information please contact the British Council.

What document do I get at the end of the course?

Many language schools in the UK issued a certificate confirming that you have passed an English language course. Typically, this document does not provide benefits for jobs and university. If further study or work required to pass a certain level of language exam, ask whether to enable the preparation for it. English exam can be taken at the majority of language schools in the UK and the British Council.

I want to get job. Will my certificate of language training officially recognized?

This needs to be clarified with the employer. But as a rule, a certificate from Cambridge University FCE (First Certificate in English) is enough to prove a sufficient level of English.

At what time of year I needto go to school?

Most schools offer courses throughout the year, classes begin at regular intervals. If you want to start studies in the summer, we recommend you choose the course and execute all documents in advance as this time of year the UK language schools are most in demand – all the seats can be booked. Preparation courses for language exams are held at certain times of the year, so this choice is limited.

As far as I need a crash course?

Depending on the time and resources at your disposal, you can choose the best course. There are many solutions. Training can last from a week to a year training at an intensity of 10 to 35 hours a week.

Course type: regular or intensive

Most of the programs listed above, has both regular and intensive learning. Some suggest a very serious training, others go to school with the rest or, for example, with sports or photography. The course, where classes are 15-20 hours per week can be considered normal. Course with lessons for more than 20 hours a week  is intensive. You have to find out for yourself how much time have, as an intensive course involves heavy load and a lot of independent work.

You can choose a course that offers a Private lessons (one-to-one tuition) or order a course built on the proposed scheme or your preferred theme (tailor-made course). The effectiveness of such training can not be doubted, but its cost will be several times higher than normal, in addition, it is necessary to do well in advance, because not every school offers similar services.

If necessary, you can find the course focuses on the development of skills listening comprehension and speaking – these tasks meet English language courses for training or special purposes (EAP or ESP). Usually before the start of classes, students are tested, you need to assess the level of their training. Teachers must be  able to place you in your abilities relevant working group.