Higher Education in UK

A bit of history.

University education in the UK dates back to the XII century., When they were based Oxford and Cambridge universities. Prior to the beginning of XIX century. other universities in England was not. However, universities are based in Scotland – for example, in St. Andrews (1411g.), Glasgow (1451), Aberdeen (1495) and Edinburgh (1583).

Industrial revolution sweeping the UK in the XIX century., Brought the country to have to prepare experienced managers and administrators. In many industrial centers, new universities. The University of London was founded in 1836., University of Manchester – in 1851., In Birmingham – in 1900., In Liverpool – in 1903., In Bristol – in 1909., To Reading – in 1926. These universities have become known as the “red-brick”: built of brick, they were markedly different from the ancient stone walls of Oxford and Cambridge.

Century of technical and technological progress dictated his demands. After the Second World War, the country’s universities were founded in Nottingham (1948). Kiel (1949), Exeter (1922g.), Sussex, Warwick, Kent and Essex (60th year). Until recently, they were called “new” or “glass” – because of modern buildings.

“Newest” wave “universitization” came in 1992, when 33 were converted into polytechnic universities. Differences between old and new universities gradually disappear, but still exist. New universities are closely associated with the industrial and commercial enterprises, tend to form their own training programs, require from employers. Old universities are also coming on this road, trying to make connections with the local and national economy. However, they even now dominated theoretical disciplines – philosophy, literature, history, natural science. Older universities have always attracted to his foreign students, which is why they are well known, but not so new. Now this trend is changing.


Degrees in the UK are awarded to students who successfully complete the course. Formally, the degree of the same value obtained in the different universities, do not differ from each other, but in practice their “weight” is determined by the reputation of their university appropriated.

Degree system has absorbed a lot of traditions. For example, the word “bachelor” (in English it is also a “bachelor”) derives from the days when the universities studied only boys. Presumably, they were not married, as a family while studying was hard.

Here are some of the first stage of degrees awarded by universities in England and Wales:

BA – Bachelor of Arts;
BEd – Bachelor of Education;
EEng – Bachelor of Engineering;
BSc – Bachelor of Science;
LLB – Bachelor of Laws;
BMus – Bachelor of Music;
BM – Bachelor of Medicine.

Names of degrees at different universities sometimes are different, there are exceptions to the rule. In some Scottish universities owner of the first degree in the Humanities – MA (MA) rather than bachelor’s degree (BA). Some universities, including Oxford and Cambridge, VA assigned the humanities and the natural sciences, but the qualification Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Cambridge is not, and at Oxford is the highest degree.

To acquire a bachelor’s degree, have studied for three (England and Wales) or four (Scotland) year. However, there is an extent which is necessary to obtain more and practical experience – training period increased accordingly. Future designers, for example, is required to pass a preparatory course and then – the main three. For a degree in medicine, dental and business architecture must learn to 7 years.

Academic course on the basis of secondary education for the degree of Bachelor (Undergraduate Education, Undergraduate education / UG-rate).

Entry Requirements.

For admission to a university in the UK, you must pass exams “A-levels”. According to the British Council, the standard eligibility requirements are as follows:

Certificates of deposit of three exams “A-levels” GCE and four exams GCSE (with a minimum grade “C”).

(Depending on the course, these requirements may vary. Directory you are interested in the school you will find more detailed information.)

It is likely that colleges and universities in the UK recognize your existing Certificate of Education (received in your country). The easiest way to find out – get in touch with the institution. If this is not possible, contact the nearest branch of the British Council, or write to the National Information Center British official recognition of educational certificates (NARIC). If you already have a diploma of higher education institution, keep in mind that, as an academic qualification, it is somewhere in between “A-levels” GCE and a bachelor’s degree. However, in different schools admission requirements are so different that A diploma can proceed to the second, and on the penultimate year of university, and even on a postgraduate course to Masters. “Cost” of your diploma is necessary to clarify the selection committee of the university where you want to do. Consider, too, that there is an International Baccalaureate (1B) – a two-year training course, which includes the study of the six disciplines. UK there are schools that offer training courses, after which a certificate is issued 1B recognized universities in the UK and around the world as an alternative to “A-levels”.

Of course, for admission to a university course, the end of which is awarded to an undergraduate degree, a high level of language training. If it is lower than necessary, you may be offered a preparatory language course.