Higher Education in New Zealand

Universities specialize in providing academic training in areas such as business and economics, science, art, and engineering, computer technology, medicine, agriculture, etc. Currently in New Zealand there are 8 public universities:

Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
Lincoln University
Massey University
The University of Auckland
The University of Canterbury
The University of Otago
The University of Waikato
Victoria University of Wellington

Universities in New Zealand are taught by the British system: 3 years you can get a bachelor’s degree (Bachelor), and with further training for 2 years – Master’s degree (Master). Online speech

If desired, the end of an undergraduate degree to continue their education for another year with a degree with honors (Bachelor with Honours). In this case, then it will be set off this year for master’s and a master’s degree after one additional year of education. In addition, the universities can get a professional education with practical orientation with a degree after 1-2 years, Diploma or Advanced Diploma courses after 2-3 years of training.


Polytechnics are more focused on the provision of vocational education, although in most cases they also provide and academic education with Bachelor and Master.

Depending on the number of years of training, the students are assigned to one of the following qualifications:

6 months – 1 year – Certificate (certificates exist at various levels I – IV, which provide basic and special skills that enable or look for a place as a worker, technician or manager or continue low-level training);
2 years – Diploma (Vocational Education);

3 years – Bachelor (academic higher education) or Graduate Diploma, Graduate Certificate (professional graduate education first stage);

4 years – Bachelor Honours (first academic post-graduate degree) or Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate (vocational postgraduate education of the second stage);

5 years – Master (academic post-graduate education);

7-8 years – Doctor (PhD, graduation).

Feature of the New Zealand education system is its jagged and flexibility to count the already received education on account of subsequent courses of a higher level without loss of the year. Thus, having two years of study after the Diploma, a student can do in most cases immediately to the 3 year bachelor degree programs. In the same way, a certificate shortens training program Diploma.

Other types of schools

Would like to mention that in New Zealand there is an opportunity to get a professional degree in hotel management and tourism in specialized private institutions. The most famous of these schools is the Pacific International Hotel Management School, leading their own programs that combine classroom training with practice, and together with the Swiss School of Hotel Management courses.

From other types of educational institutions of greatest interest special training colleges for admission of foreign students in higher education institutions (Foundation Studies Colleges) and language schools. Often, training programs and Foundation courses are conducted at universities and polytechnics, which allows foreign students whose level of English is not sufficient for admission to the university at once (usually on higher education program required level of IELTS 6.0, and for postgraduate programs – IELTS 6.5 ), the prior admission to the selected program at the university (Conditional Offer) and enroll in a language course at the same time at the same university. In this case, the University sends the invitation, provides a long-term student visa to New Zealand, is extended on the spot. In the event that a student has successfully passed an examination IELTS after learning a language course, it will be immediately credited to the selected degree program or postgraduate education. Otherwise, you can continue to the language courses in order to achieve the desired level.

In conclusion we can say that university diplomas NZ valued around the world and can later find a good job in New Zealand and in other Western countries.