Students are regularly given essay writing assignments. This is done for the purpose of mastering and improving these skills. Many people also write essays after graduation when applying for a job, for example. That is why it is very important to be prepared for this and to cope with this task brilliantly. After all, your career and future will depend on it.
The concept of academic essay and its structure
You should clearly understand what an academic essay is before you start writing it, because it is impossible to cope with this task successfully if you do not understand what you need to do. Thus, an academic essay is a written work of a particular genre, containing the main idea in the form of a thesis or hypothesis, which is expressed at the very beginning, and arguments in its favor.
It is important to remember that an academic assignment is a type of scientific work, and therefore it has a certain structure characteristic of such papers:
- Introduction gives a brief description of the academic essay, helps the reader to understand its main idea. It is in this part that the author makes the main statement or hypothesis. This section is a small volume of 100 to 200 words, but it is very important and the purpose of the author is that it is through the introduction to attract the reader to further reading the essay.
- The main part is intended for the author to give arguments and evidence in favor of the main idea or hypothesis expressed in the introduction. In this section, the author also expresses his attitude to the studied problem, subject or phenomenon, and tries to convince the reader that his opinion is the only correct one. This part of the academic essay should be divided into paragraphs of roughly equal size.
- The conclusion is the final section of the essay, in which the author summarizes everything that was written in the main part and introduction. Thus, he does not duplicate this information, but draws certain conclusions on its basis. The author’s task in this section is to leave a strong final impression on the reader. This can be done using a quote from a famous person or ask a question that the reader will think about even after reading the essay.
How to start an academic essay
You should start your academic essay in a way that immediately interests the reader. Immediately state a strong statement or hypothesis about which the reader will want to know more, and he will undoubtedly read the essay to the end to do so.
Note the following before you start writing an essay:
- Read your assignment carefully and if you have any questions about it, contact your teacher. You will not be able to write a quality essay if you do not understand the requirements that are presented to it in the assignment.
- Conduct a full study of all available information on a given topic essay. Do not forget to specify the sources of information that you will use when writing an essay. It is best to choose publications and works of authoritative authors who are known in a particular field.