A Level and Selectividad


Principles of admission to UK universities say often enough. Admission is based on an examination A Level. To successfully passed examinations considered necessary to pass at least two academic subjects A Subjects or the new system 4 AS Subjects (AS = ½ A). The procedure for submission of documents to British universities has a significant feature – the applicants do not apply directly to the individual universities, and are applying the prescribed form, with the NE in more than six universities through centralized UCAS, the main function of which is the formation of the first year of high school. It should be noted that the estimates obtained by the students during exams A Level, are simultaneously opening the university, but do not guarantee admission.

Content or exam PAAU (Pruebas de Aptitud de Acceso a la Universidad) -, often called Selectividad, not so well known. Selectividad can donate no more than 4 times.
The exam consists of two parts and is conducted in Spanish, except for testing foreign language. The first part of the exam is designed to determine the overall educational level of potential students and consists of a comprehensive test of knowledge of Spanish.

Delivers the second part of the exam must choose three academic subject from two directions: “Humanities” and “Natural Sciences” and in writing to answer a number of questions. Scores are calculated on a 10-point scale, and the result is displayed as a simple average. However, the exam itself – is only 40% of the final grade for Selectividad, and the remaining 60% – this is the average score of the school academic statement, from which it is quite clear the importance of evaluation in the school leaving certificate. Passed examinations Selectividad itself guarantee admission to state universities in Spain, but in elite universities, the pass mark, certainly higher.

As training in Six Form a mixed program implemented in practice, illustrated by Caxton College, an English boarding school in Valencia, one of the best of British boarding schools in Spain. Academic emphasis on the first (Low Six / Year 12) and second year (Upper Six / Year 13) are arranged differently. The main attention is paid in the first year of the implementation of the British program, although the study necessary as 4 subjects from the Spanish side, but to a lesser extent.

As a rule, foreign students who start their studies abroad, speak English quite well, but often do not know the Spanish language, which prevents them from the first year included in the classes in Spanish. Therefore, we recommend to do for these children to a bilingual school in Spain for 13 years, which provides an additional “reserve” a year to learn Spanish. It should be noted that up to 14 years of English-language schools they have knowledge of Spanish required, but with continued training it becomes necessary, or to give the whole idea of ​​bilingual education at all becomes meaningless.

The main differences are observed in the training at this stage. This is not only a feature of the national programs, but also the limitations of the tests and rules of admission to higher education institutions in the UK and Spain.